All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have so lots of new methods and scientific developments emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to help make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Discover who will really do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request details on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Find another one if your doctor won't tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as great as useful reference a discount parachute.
Anticipate to see really well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.